Friday, April 27, 2007

To anyone who may read this (which is like 3 people, lol), please check out my friend Karen's OT student blog that she recently made...

http://otstudents.blogspot.com/

I think it's an awesome idea to write about your experiences as a student and even as a clinician. It's so good to know I'm not alone in my hopes/fears/dreams! I know we'll be able to look back at this one day and appreciate what we've been through... we'll be better therapists for it, and hopefully more understanding teachers when it's time to mentor our own students.

Karen I think it's great that you get to practice with real patients already. That's what I'm looking forward to the most. As an OT tech, I'm extremely limited in the amount of hands-on interaction I can have with patients (which is understandable). It's nice to observe, ask some questions and try to figure things out without having any of the responsibility... but I'm already starting to crave it!

So I registered for my Fall classes, and my schedule looks like this:
~Foundations of Motor Performance
~ Clinical Conditions: Physical
~ Clinical Conditions: Psychosocial
~Science of Occupation
~ OT Practice Skills I.
I also applied to be a graduate assistant, so I'm waiting to hear back about that. School starts in 19 weeks, and as excited as I am, I am definitely not going to rush the summer along! I need to enjoy this one! ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Patti
I found your blog the other night..but didn't leave a posting.. and then lo and behold you ended up leaving a comment on my blog:
http://oteducation.wordpress.com

So welcome to the profession…. I’ve been an occupational therapist for over 20 years and still love the job as much as I did when I first graduated…. I know I’m an educator, but I still think of myself as an occupational therapist first who just happens to teach.

Blogging certainly is a great way to find like-minded individuals! There are a few OT blogs - of which more of them are student focused than therapist focused - I wonder why? Anyway here’s hoping that over your next 3 - 4 years of study you will find more occupational therapists blogging!!!

Oh.. there’s also a lot of people - ie consumers of our service or clients or patients who write about what we do - not always in such positive light… but giving the realities of their experiences. Anyway - I will check out your blog and pop in a hello!

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti
I just happened upon your blog tonight when a friend mentioned it to me - funny how the word spreads eh!
I am an occupational therapist and have been working for about 5 years, with my particular interest being in the field of neuro rehab. Welcome to the profession - it is a fanastic scene to be a part of and a very fulfilling job!

Great to see you using blog as a means to share your thoughts and experiences on your way to becoming a fully fleged OT! I believe blogging is a fantastic way of reflecting on practice and sharing knowledge through networking.

Check out my blog when you have some time. Will keep an eye on yours - keep up the good work!

Nathan said...

Hi Patti,

Thanks for your comment on my blog... It's good to know I'm not the only OT student out there!

I like your layout and the tone of your blog, it's given me a few ideas on how I can make mine better - I've been struggling a bit with the concept (not being much of a writer and all...) but hopefully with a bit of work it'll start to come together.

Good luck with the study and keep on blogging!