Monday, May 21, 2007

Today I had a really cool experience and discovered a branch of rehab that shares a lot of connections with OT. This afternoon I was invited on an outing with a recreation therapist, and two of our brain injured residents. It was a beautiful day so we went to the boardwalk at Seaside Heights.

The major lessons I learned today were about patience and accessibility. I am reminded over and over again how our society is set up for people with a lot of mobility and not for people with physical limitations. For people with physical or mental disabilities, every aspect of life takes a little more planning, problem-solving and patience.

I took one of the patients into an arcade to play some games. Not one game in the place was set up for easy accessibility for a customer that needs to use a wheelchair. Sure, the chairs under the slot machines were able to be moved, but the metal bases were so heavy that even I struggled to move them over so she could reach the game. After the arcade we went for pizza... which should be an easy thing to get at Seaside considering every other shop is a pizzeria. I took a look into a few of them and realized that the tables or isles were much too close together to fit the patients chair through. I finally found one that would fit her comfortably and safely. I have been taught that as therapists, our job is to give our patients all of the options of the norm, but I now see how difficult it can be for disabled people to have these options if the environment doesn't allow for it. Luckily, the environment is a factor that can be changed... although it's not always that simple to tell a business to remove some tables and widen the isles to accommodate handicapped people. We still have a long way to go in terms of disability rights... more than I ever thought.

3 comments:

Karen said...

its hard to be excited about spending money on changes to your establishment unless you have a personal reason for doing it. We should make every family adopt a disabled person...yeah, that's a reasonable solution. ;)

That was cool you got to experience that!

Patti Henk said...

Seriously Karen- you're right.

I almost felt like bringing the patient into one of the restaurants that were inaccessible just to make a point, but I would never put someone's safety in jeopardy intentionally!

But yeah... people have to be personally affected before they're willing to make a change.

Merrolee said...

Hi Patti
Its amazing what you don't see as a problem until you are affected! This is what an inclusive society is about - its not only people in wheelchairs who have difficulty with access - how about parents/caregivers with prams or someone on crutches etc...
In New Zealand we have legislation about accessible public areas. It does mean that any new building must be fully accessible!

Anyway... I'm out and about making sure I've linked all the occupational therapy blogs I can find into my bloglines. (http://www.bloglines.com/public/merrolee).
.. and extending Will from Metaot's invitation....(http://metaot.com)


Read on
The OT blogosphere has really taken off over the past few months. Without a doubt this is pretty much down to Merrolee's group in New Zealand but also to student's and of course a few bods like James Lampert Housing-OT Blog and Chris' ABC Therapeutics Blog in the States.

Merrolee and I were talking on GTalk just the other night and discussing ways on broadening the blogosphere / getting methods on us all talking to each other. Then something struck me. In a lot of other communities on the net these various bloggers and community members get together once in a while - yes, actually get away from a computer! Call it a meetup, blogmeet - whatever. I can't accommodate the world (although hey, your’re all invited!) so I have setup a upcoming group for anyone to join titled "OT's On The Net - UK" and in the upcoming future (like it?) I will organise a suitable venue/date to have a beverage and a chat. So, if your in the UK and reading this.. thinking of starting a Blog, contributing to the net in someway and your an OT (or student OT) then add yourself to the group to be informed of when/where!

Update I stupidly forgot to post the URL in the first revision of this post. To add yourself go to : http://upcoming.yahoo.com/group/3203/ (It's a yahoo application so you will need to join yahoo)

So… join up on the yahoo group set up by Will, make sure you blog is connected in my bloglines page (http://www.bloglines.com/public/merrolee) and lets spread the message!