Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Waiting, Watching, Wishing...

July is already here, that's insane! Things are going well for the most part. Graduate school starts in less than 9 weeks, and I have less than 35 days of work. (But who's counting?...). I'm psyched, a little anxious, but mostly psyched. Life as I know it is going to be different... but I'm sure it's a good different.

One of my soon-to-be professors wrote to me about a potential graduate assistantship option. It involves planning and facilitating a social skills group for autistic children down in Long Beach Island. It's a ten week program on Saturdays throughout the semester. Now this is something entirely out of my comfort zone... which is also a reason it appeals to me. My intentions up to this point have always been to work with neuro/psych patients, primarily geriatrics and stroke/TBI. These next two years will be my best chance to see every option I have and to truly define my area of passion in the OT field. Like anything in life, if you never give something a chance, you might miss an awesome opportunity or experience. So I'm going to meet with the professor to discuss the project, and I'll probably take her up on the offer. One of my goals in grad school is to become a braver person, and to be more willing to try new things.

Finally, I was emailed an awesome OT treatment plan website by the creator of www.OTplan.com. This is going to be extremely useful when we start learning about evaluating and treating pediatrics. I can't wait to see this site grow. Thanks for sharing it with me! It'd be cool if there as a huge database out there like this for all populations and conditions that we see in OT.

Till next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thanks for mentioning OTPlan.
I just added some extra functionality to the site. Users can now search for treatment ideas in 2 ways: searching by desired skills or searching by available materials. The site will match your selection with our available treatment plans.

In addition, I'm requesting fellow users to send me new treatment plan ideas so other could benefit from it as well.

Thanks for the kind words.