Tuesday, April 03, 2007

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Time for an update, as per death threats from Karen, my Memphis-OT-sister! (whom I need to visit this summer!) Life has been good, and a heavy weight has been lifted off of my shoulders now that I know I'll begin my OT education in just a few short months. It's going to be interesting to start learning more about what I see in practice every day at work. I try my best to observe and listen to everything that goes on during therapy, but there's so much I need to learn. Some of my friends recently got their licenses and it's really cool to watch their transition from tech and student to therapist... is that really going to be me one day?

I got to be a pseudo-OT last weekend with my grandma in PA, so of course I felt super cool. I made sure everything she uses frequently was within easy reach in her kitchen and bedroom and I removed an area rug. Her biggest concern was finding a way to get her bedside commode bucket to the bathroom, while still being able to use her RW. I showed her a slide/pass technique she could use by making little 'reststops' for the bucket along the way. She seemed more confident about it after she tried it. My grams apartment is much too small/smoky/creepy to stay at, but one of my favorite OT friends (who happens to live only about 15 mins from my grandma!) graciously welcomed me for the weekend. I swear God brings people into my life for a reason... I'm incredibly blessed.

So all in all, everything is good. I'm trying to make the most of my last few months of real freedom! I'm catching up with some old friends, and many of my friends are graduating college next month. I'm reading some books for "fun" (as in non-educational for once!), and I'm working hard on keeping up my gym routine. Till next time!

No comments: